StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
A Bridge of Her Own - Carey Heywood First of all...Wyatt Huntington III, you are one of the biggest jerks to ever walk this earth, and I despise you!Now that that's out of the way...I loved this book. It was a hopeful, sweet, inspiring read that was exactly what I needed right now. I was sucked in immediately and couldn't stop reading!I identified with this novel's heroine from the very beginning, when she began dating and quickly lost her virginity to that absolute DICKHEAD Wyatt. This scene was written in such an honest way; it was painful and really struck a chord with me. It was also painful to watch Jane try so desperately to stay with Wyatt and fall apart whenever he threatened to leave her, even though she had to give up so much of herself to be with him. Though Jane's lack of self-reliance could be frustrating to read about at times, I really appreciated Heywood writing a character who not only starts out with a lack of independence, but takes a long time to find herself and suffers setbacks once she begins to. This was a very honest portrayal of the way so many young women feel, and it was completely believable considering Jane's personality and relationship with her parents.Letting Jane make mistakes, and taking such time to develop her character, also allowed the author to make her character growth that much more rewarding to experience. I absolutely loved the way the book ended, and I really appreciated that while Jane had a new man in her life, the journey was more about her personally than about the romance. I also loved the strong female friendship portrayed throughout this novel.A great read sure to resonate with anyone who's struggled to overcome their insecurities and stand on their own.