StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
Jaded (Rock Star, #1) - Mercy Amare  I want to begin this review with my one caveat about Jaded: this is not necessarily the most realistic story out there. The novel’s main character is a super-successful nineteen-year-old pop star who decides to take a break from her career, move to a small town and finally finish high school—in an actual high school, instead of with a tutor on a tour bus. In addition to the celebrity aspect, there are a few other very dramatic reveals during the course of the novel. So yeah, maybe not the most realistic, believable plot out there. That said, this book was a ton of fun and so addictive, I didn’t want to put it down. (Except for the ending, which wasn’t fun—it was cruel and painful and I need book two RIGHT NOW! But I’m getting ahead of myself…)Jaded is told in pop star Scarlett Ryan’s candid, appealing voice. Scarlett has the problems you’d expect a young celebrity to be dealing with: parents who seem more concerned with her career than her happiness, a record label that won’t let her express herself through her music, and the temptation of partying and drugs. However, what really made Scarlett’s situation unique for me, and made me feel for her the most, was the fact that she’d completely lost contact with her older sister and wanted desperately to reconnect with her. At its core, this book is really about Scarlett’s need to forge connections on a personal level, rather than as a celebrity with fans and hangers-on.And that brings me to my favorite relationship in the book…Scarlett’s romance with high-school student Stephan Montgomery, who also happens to be her neighbor in her new home of Hope, Florida. I LOVED Stephan. He’s got a bad-boy appeal to him—his hobby is illegal street racing, Fast and Furious-style—but he’s also really sweet, thoughtful and sincere. Actually, I really liked pretty much all the characters in Jaded, but I don’t want to say too much about most of them, or about the plot, for fear of spoiling some of those dramatic reveals I mentioned earlier!Even though Jaded wasn’t always completely believable, by the end of the story I was completely emotionally invested, and the end just devastated me! I’m so glad the sequel’s already out, and I will be reading it as soon as possible!