StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
His Wicked Games - Ember Casey How to describe His Wicked Games… Imagine the mysterious mansion full of hidden secrets from The Secret Garden, Jane Eyre, and all the fairy tales you loved as a kid…add a super-sexy, very grown-up romance…and top it all off with smooth, elegant writing. That’s His Wicked Games in a nutshell.I feel like I can’t say too much about this book without spoiling it…but I will say that the entire time I was reading it, I was thinking, Why didn’t I come up with this idea? But I’m glad Ember Casey was the one to come up with it, not me, because her writing and characterization were spot-on and she did an amazing job. All the little details of Calder’s mansion (which is where our main character Lily gets stranded during a storm, alone with hot young billionaire Calder) were such great modern takes on Gothic conventions, from the hidden passageways to the mysterious artwork to the hedge maze outside. And the plot was so well-constructed, using this elaborate setting perfectly to develop the characters and keep me turning the pages, eager to find out what would happen next. I thought both Lily and Calder were very sympathetic characters, and the author did a great job of giving them both real-life problems outside of the romance. Although this book is definitely erotic, it has a lot more to it than just sex, or even just romance. And by the end of the novel, there’s a twist on the typical billionaire-hero-rescues-average-woman plotline that really made me happy. So even if you’re tired of billionaire stories, I’d definitely still check this one out!