StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
Him - Carey Heywood This book grabbed me from the first chapter and never let go! It was funny and sweet, sad and emotional, and most of all, romantic. I absolutely loved Sarah and Will and was rooting for them to work things out, and I loved the secondary characters too. One of my favorite things about the book was the way every other chapter alternated between "past," when Will and Sarah were in high school, and "present," when 25-year-old Sarah is returning to her hometown for her brother's wedding, and finds that she can't avoid Will any longer. I thought the alternating timelines were handled so well, with each chapter ending in just the right place to keep you racing through the book, eager to learn what happens in both timelines and how the past and present intersect. The voices of high-school and twenty-something Sarah were distinct, yet both felt like they belonged to the same person. I loved getting to read about the innocence of the high-school love story as well as the more mature relationship developing between Will and Sarah in the present.I really liked that Will was a genuinely sweet, good guy, instead of the cocky bad boy who's so popular at the moment. And I loved that Sarah was successful in her career and that the author actually took the time to describe what she does in detail. I hope we'll get to learn just as much about Will's career, and his struggles in the seven years he spent without Sarah, in the sequel/companion novel HER!