StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
Never Let You Fall (The Prophecy of Tyalbrook, Book 1) - Michele G.  Miller I’ll admit I was initially attracted to Never Let You Fall by the gorgeous cover. I read the blurb (which is, in a good way, rather vague) quickly, just enough to know the book had some sort of paranormal/fantasy element. I actually think it improved my experience to know as little as possible going into the book, and I’m so glad I read it, because…I loved it!I really don’t what to say too much in this review because, as I said above, I think readers will enjoy the book even more if you don’t know too much going into it. I will say that Never Let You Fall was an escapist read for me, in the best way possible. It swept me away into a larger-than-life story and romance. I loved both main characters, even though Xander was at times almost too perfect to believe, and I felt for both of them dealing with difficult childhoods and the loss of their families and, for so many years, the loss of each other as well. I also found the secondary characters interesting, and I appreciated the way the author continued to develop them throughout the story, leaving me questioning their motives and eager to learn more.Another thing I really, really liked was the way this novel melded the contemporary and fantasy genres. While I like fantasy, I often have trouble staying interested in traditional fantasy novels. I’m not sure exactly why, but I think it has something to do with the combination of the quasi-historical settings and complex world-building. As much as I want to like it, I find it hard to stay fully involved while reading. Never Let You Fall got around those issues by beginning in a contemporary setting and focusing on characters who’ve grown up in our world, even when they transition to more of a fantasy environment. This made the book much more accessible and enjoyable for me, as did the fact that the world-building, while interesting, wasn’t overly complicated. And I loved the parts of the world-building that were reminiscent of traditional fantasy, and even of fairy tales.While Never Let You Fall doesn’t end with what I’d call a cliffhanger, it definitely leaves a lot of possibilities open for a sequel. And I’m definitely looking forward to reading it!