StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
Real - Katy Evans “Why’d you want to have sex with me? To have a fucking adventure? What was I supposed to be? Your one-night-fucking stand? I’m every woman’s adventure, damn you, and I don’t want to be yours. I want to be your fucking REAL.”--from Real“I don’t want the world to see me, ‘cause I don’t think that they’d understand. When everything’s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am.”--“Iris” by the Goo-Goo DollsThe Goo-Goo Dolls’ song “Iris” plays an important part in Real, and this book is sort of like the novel version of the song: you know it’s a little over the top, a little melodramatic, and you probably shouldn’t let yourself get so swept up in it…but you do. This book alternated between being really fun, really sexy, and really edge-of-your-seat suspenseful, and there were a few times the plot took a turn I wasn’t expecting at all. I really liked that the heroine, Brooke, used to be a serious athlete just like Remy, and that she had her own physical injury and emotional disappointments to deal with. This added a lot of depth to the story. I also loved that Brooke took her job as a sports rehab therapist so seriously, and she had so much knowledge of the complex systems in the human body that allow us to be athletic. I’m not sporty by any means, but I was really into dance at one point, took physiology in college, and am kind of fascinated by how the body works, so this part of Real held special appeal for me. I thought the author did a great job of incorporating these details in an accessible way that definitely added something to the story.I really felt for and loved Remy, and I’m excited to read the sequel, which will be told from Remy’s as well as Brooke’s point of view!