StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
A Fallow Heart - Linda Kage When I read on Linda Kage's blog that A Fallow Heart was dedicated to the memory of her father, a farmer, I really wanted to read it, and I wasn't disappointed. I could see that the author really put her heart and soul into this book...I know that sounds a little corny, but in this case, I don't think there's any better way to describe it! Not only the characters, but also the small-town country setting and especially the details of farming life were conveyed with love and care and even a kind of reverence. Cooper, our hero, is the farmer in this case, and he is a swoon-worthy hero with a strong dedication to his family, his lifestyle and his love for Jo Ellen. Cooper's bullheadedness and the way he misinterpreted things and leapt to conclusions were the necessary flaws to make him a believable, even more likable character. Jo Ellen is perfect for Cooper, and throughout the story you're really rooting for the two to get together. And I never thought elements of farm life such as combines, haylofts, and pecan orchards could be so damn romantic! The supporting characters were also fun and vivid, and if you've read Linda Kage's novel THE TROUBLE WITH TOMBOYS, you will recognize some familiar faces!