StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
The Sea of Tranquility - Katja Millay I was going to give this 4 or 4.5 stars because even though I loved it, my personal preference is a book with less interior monologue--I just tend to be a fan of more spare writing. HOWEVER, the section from 90 to 95% on my kindle was so incredibly emotionally intense, and the very last scene was so perfect, that I have to give the full 5 stars. I will be returning to write in my favorite quote soon...hopefully tonight!Okay, here is the quote that changed my rating from a 4 to a 5...there is a little bit of a spoiler here, although nothing I didn't guess from the first few chapters; but if you want to go into the book knowing as little as possible, you might want to skip it.Drew lies back in Sunshine's bed, staring at the ceiling. I sit on the floor and lean against the wall. Every time I move I can hear paper crinkling against my back."I don't understand," he says, eventually."Don't understand what?" I ask. There are so many possible answers to that question."I don't get why he didn't rape her.""What the fuck kind of question is that?" I practically growl at him."I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm serious," he says, and I can tell he is being serious and it's uncomfortable for him. All of this is uncomfortable for him. In the last few weeks, Drew has had to handle more emotionally charged, disturbing situations than he has in his whole life and he's not equipped for it."Sorry," I apologize to him, because I am, for more than just biting his head off. He was going to have to start growing up at some point, but I feel bad that it had to be like this."I just don't get it. Gorgeous girl, alone, why doesn't he rape her? Why does he just beat the shit out of her and leave her there. It just doesn't make sense to me.""Would it make sense if he had raped her?" I ask, because nothing about what happened to her makes sense."No. I guess I just want to understand why he did it. I want there to be a reason.""Too much pain, rage, grief. Too much reality." There are so many things that can break you if there's nothing to hold you together."That's not an excuse," he says."No, it's not an excuse," I reply. "You asked for a reason. It's a reason. Just not a good one."I can tell he's still struggling to understand, to make this fit into his view of the world; but it never will. And it shouldn't. It has no place in the world, no matter how often it happens.