StephanieParent

Stephanie Parent, Reader and Writer

Stephanie Parent is a graduate of the Master of Professional Writing program at USC and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts as a piano major. She moved to Los Angeles because of Francesca Lia Block's WEETZIE BAT books, which might give you some idea of how much books mean to her. She also loves dogs, books about dogs, and sugary coffee drinks both hot and cold.
Shattered Soul - Jennifer Snyder As much as I love to read, I don’t always identify when people say they “couldn’t put a book down”…as an easily distracted worrywart, I can almost always put a book down no matter how good it is. So it really means something when I tell you that, reading the last few pages of Shattered Soul on the subway on my way to work, I found that I had to continue reading while I walked out of the station and up the elevator… I truly couldn’t stop until I reached the last sentence. I don’t want to spoil it for you, so I’ll just say that Shattered Soul has a brave, unconventional, and piercing ending.As for the rest of the book, Shattered Soul drew me in right away with its very believable, likable male narrator, Seth, and his heartbreaking home situation. I thought Jennifer Snyder did an amazing job of capturing a teenage male voice, and she didn’t shy away from the gritty aspects of his lifestyle, including drug use. I also really liked Seth’s romantic interest, Ali, especially once we learn that her family life and past isn’t as perfect as it seems. This book is hard to read, yet impossible to stop reading, as Ali and Seth make one bad decision after another. I never stopped caring for them, hurting for them, and hoping against hope that everything would work out. Overall, Shattered Soul is a gripping, quick read, and one I won’t forget anytime soon.